Saturday 14 March 2015

Mummy's Marmalade

In the past few years, my mum has started to make marmalade. This year i decided that i wanted to help. I never realised how easy it was until now and i much prefer homemade to shop brought. I decorated the jars with ribbons so that i could give them to my friends. And on some of them, i put a cupcake case under the lid. This is a really good idea for birthdays or picnics. I also found out that homemade marmalade keeps for two years!
 Ingredients:
1kg Seville Oranges
75ml Lemon Juice
2kg Demerara Sugar

1. Remove the tops off the oranges then cut them in half and squeeze out all the juice. Place this to one side.

2. Using a sharp knife, slice the peel into short and wide shreds. Put the peel into the bowl full of the orange juice and add 2.5 litres of water. Leave for 24 hours.

3. Transfer all the mixture to a preserving pan and bring to boil then simmer slowly and cover with a lid until the peel is tender. This should take about three hours and the contents of the pan will have reduced by about a third.

4. Stir in the lemon and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Boil until it has set (about half an hour). Remove from the heat and let cool for at least ten minutes then stir gently and put into jars and seal.

                                                        Pinterest/  Instagram/ TwitterBloglovin'
SHARE:

6 comments:

  1. Hey Evie :)
    Wow, such gorgeous jars - I love the way you have decorated them! I have made raspberry jam, but never marmalade... maybe I should give it a go this Summer so I have a bunch for Autumn ;).
    PS, how did you find out that they keep for two years?
    xX Zoe | http://life-gazing-and-wildstrawberries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to try jam next. Seville oranges won't be in season in Summer (according to my mum) so i would make it soon! I found out from a book that it keeps for that long.
      Evie xx

      Delete
  2. toast and jam - my favorite kind of breakfast :D

    theleeday.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making marmalade :D the cup case addition is great!

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig